Why We Love Beets
February is Beet Month here at Rick’s Picks. In this season of valentines, their gorgeous redness makes them a good candidate to be featured, but that’s just one reason why. Let’s consider beets – and lovers. A good lover is consistent, reliable. A good love is durable. And what is more durable than the humble beet? Of all the vegetables we harvest in season, the beet is the only one that can be plucked from the earth and stored for a prolonged period of time before pickling, without compromising its best flavor, texture, or nutrients. And so, we start pickling beets sometime in July and continue on well past the frost, clear into mid-December.
Good lovers understand it’s not always all about them. Likewise, beets have no ego. They can be the star of the show on a fancy appetizer, or a supporting player in a simple salad. And with beets, there is no waste. If you have fresh ones on hand, steam the greens that top the beets and serve them with just a pat of butter. You’ll taste a delectable mineral flavor that gives spinach a run for its money.
Kate, who runs many of our Greenmarket stands, devised a quick and delicious salad featuring our Phat Beets. Here it is.
Phat Beets and Mache Salad with Goat Cheese and Lemon Vinaigrette
· ½ pound Mache or other tender lettuce
· 1 jar of Rick’s Picks Phat Beets
· 1 log of soft goat cheese
· 8 slices of baguette or 4 slices of crusty Italian bread
· 2 tablespoons freshly 3queezed lemon juice
· ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
· ¾ teaspoon salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 clove of garlic, peeled (optional)
1. Place bread slices on a baking sheet and put in the oven under high broil for 30 seconds. They should be toasted a golden brown. If not, return to broil and continue checking frequently until toasted. When the first side is golden brown, flip the slices and toast the other side. If desired, lightly rub one side of each slice with the garlic clove. Spread goat cheese on each slice of bread and topped with some freshly ground pepper
2. Mix the lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper. Toss with the lettuce.
3. Divide the lettuce between 4 plates. Arrange Phat Beets slices on top. Place the goat cheese toasts on the side.
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Order Phat Beets at special Pickle of the Month prices for your loved one today!